Let's Talk over Coffee....

About Me

My Friends

Tag Me

Music

Monday, November 10, 2008

Final Reflection

Looking back at my first blog post, it suddenly strikes me how much more there is to communication than I first thought. Although I was aware of the importance of communication, I was somewhat ignorant of the magnitude of its impact. This module has allowed me to understand the other many different areas of communication. Like I mentioned in my first blog post, non verbal communication is a component that most of us have either neglected or ignored. It is especially important for a teacher to understand the importance of non verbal communication in order to be effective.

I am fortunate that in this module, I have the chance to witness a real life example of an effective teacher in our lecturer Brad. He is the quintessential lecturer and I enjoy the way his class is conducted. To give an example, Brad’s friendly yet firm non verbal cues have encouraged members of the class to participate and share their thoughts. His ability in paraphrasing students’ words has further motivated them to speak up instead of continuing their restraint due to lack of confidence. Some of my other classes are conducted quite differently. Though most of us will be listening attentively to our lecturers, we will be refraining from participating in class in order not to embarrass ourselves.

I especially like the “mock interview session” we had. It was a chance to garner feedback from my fellow classmates. It reflects how sincere the students are in trying to help one another. It is also a chance to observe how others give feedback to their friends – to watch and examine effective communication in action. However, at times, I did notice that some feedback is very direct, even potentially embarrassing. I wonder if that is because it is between friends and one has more leeway over it. I think this issue bears more examining.



Layout Design by =D Thanks to:Getty Images BlogspotBlogskins