Let's Talk over Coffee....

About Me

My Friends

Tag Me

Music

Friday, August 29, 2008

Gracious Retreat?


I am a part time fitness instructor with Singapore Sports Council. As part of my work scope in the gymnasium, I am to ensure that all gym users are dressed appropriately in their sports attire and equipped with towels for the duration of their work out. One day, as I was making my rounds in the gym, I spotted a user (who will henceforth be named Peter) exercising without a towel. I approached him and enquired, “Sorry to disturb Sir, but do you have a towel with you?” To my astonishment, Peter shouted back at the top of his voice, “I don’t have a towel. Why do I need a towel when I don’t sweat much in the gym?” While I was trying to explain the reasons for a towel in the gym, Peter simply grab on to a t-shirt nearby and claim that it is his towel! While there might be a chance that Peter really thought that a t-shirt would suffice, his upturned face, bulging eyes and aggressive posture indicated otherwise.

As much as I would like to let the matter rest, I had to fulfill my responsibilities. If my supervisor were to walk in and discover a user without a towel I would be severely reprimanded. Hence I replied, “I’m sorry sir, but this is not a towel. If you do not have one kindly purchase a towel at the counter for a dollar. Thank you.” Things got uglier immediately as Peter started shouting and claiming that I am trying to make things difficult for him, all the while hurling vulgarities at me. Although I was fuming inside, I backed off quietly and resumed my rounds in the gym. I had thought to give Peter a chance to cool down and be more reasonable. However, instead of using the respite to cool off, Peter came after me to continue his verbal abuse. What would you have done if you were placed in my situation?




Layout Design by =D Thanks to:Getty Images BlogspotBlogskins